Pages

Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Phawking Jammie from back in the day!!!

DO YOU WANNA ROCK WIT ME

Back in middle school and high school I was in a group with my friend's Keith & Kenneth. We went by several names... for a while we went by Sycotics, probably because of Diamond D's LP that dropped the same year. (yeah we spelled it wrong) Then we were SYC, which some how was Sycotic... something Click. HAHA Then... hahah well, we earned a few emcees and added bits of their name to the click when we were finally known as SYA.

Keith and Kenneth were ALWAYS my boys, I was busy with other things although I still was real serious about hip hop and music. I wasn't in the fold as much, but we were always down to work on some ish. Then again it was high school and all we really wanted to do was to try to impress some ladies. (The twins were always more sucessful than I back then.) HAHAHA Also, I started getting more and more interested in production back then and finally got my 1st sampler, a Yamaha SU10.

A couple of the tracks that I gave the redux action to on the LP were originally from those days. (Wild Style, T.E.C.H. and the original beat that ended up becoming Everybody Get)

One of the tracks I did back then, which is now on the player is this old school jammie, "Do You Wanna Rock Wit Me." I'm not on the track, but I produced it. Keith and Ken came over to my place on a Saturday and were like, "Yo, we got this idea for a track..." At 1st I didn't wan't to do this track because at the time Puffy and Ma$e were getting real BIG off of all that jiggy ish and I didn't want to make some radio top 40 type music. I was in high school and STILL an over the top backpacker. (before there was that term)

After the twins finally convinced me to make the beat, I laid it down and we recorded this demo version in a few hours. I've always dug this track and have always wanted to redo it proper. I remember when I was in college I heard De La use the same sample on the "AOI" LP and at 1st I was pissed, but after a second it was one of those moments when you know that you're on the right track. HAHA

Well... although life has many different paths for everyone, I was talking with them on the phone the past coupel weeks and we've been talking about finally putting some ish down. Hopefully this track will get remade, redone and given the proper release it deserved. I'm honestly amped to remake this beat and clean it up.

So, peep one of my personaly jammies from the vault. (seriously) I've only let a few people hear this track, but it's still pretty dope. Enjoy and hopefully we will have a proper version of this personal classic for everyone to dig.

Peace

No comments: