Pages

Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Coolest Fuggin' Thing in a Minute!!!

I'm not a hardcore gamer.  In-fact, growing up I ALWAYS felt like I was behind the 8-ball.  By the time I got a Nintendo, a year later the SNES dropped and all the friends I finally bonded with, dumped my ass for a MUCH cooler system.  The story was replayed again and again as each system was upgraded or replaced by an new platform.  So, what did I do?  I just got down with the latest joint at my friend's houses instead of trying to keep up with the "Jones'."  (safe bet... save the cash and cop records instead)

X-Box, Wii, PS3... pha-git-a-bou-dit.  Now, when cats come to my spot they're geeking over the old school joints I've got.  I remember when Louis Logic, Johnny October and Type spent the night at my house after a gig, they started flipping when they saw all the old school joints I have.  In a way it's like an SP1200 now.  When the MPC dropped, everybody quit the SP1200 like a bad habit.  Now, MPCs are a dime a dozen and beatmakers want the SP1200 sound again.  Anyway...  those old school joints MAY be dope, but they take up a gang of space that has to compete with the blu-ray player etc. 

SO, the other day, I copped one of these bad boys for roughly $50, the Retron3 by Hyperkin.  You can play NES, SNES & Genesis games all on one system.  You can also use your old controllers with the system instead of being forced to use the 3rd party controllers, which was the sell for me.    (side note:  The SNES controller is by far my favorite controller of all time)  It has AV and S-Video outputs, but the NES will not work with S-Video.  Despite NES not being compatible with S-Video, the SNES and Genesis games look sick through the S-Video.  I've heard people complain that you can't play "Castlevania III" with it, but you can play some of the import SNES games with the system, which is pretty dope.  I don't have "Castlevania III" or any of the import games, so I don't really care.  The only thing that really matters is if the "Contra" code works.  So, what did I do 1st when I hooked up this bad boy?  Plugged in "Contra" and up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, a, b, start.  Works.  Ballin!

No comments: