Pages

Friday, September 7, 2012

Vintage Dope - "Cratebangin'" (More Bounce Remix)

Here we are, "Revisionist History".  This project has been a long time coming and this monthly installment will be its new incarnation.  Originally "Revisionist History" was going to be a compilation release, but budget issues, emcees and other projects pushed it to the back burner.  As time passed, I had a handful of tracks and numerous beats, but ultimately it was shelved.  (although I did let people hear the rough tracks that were finished)

And that was pretty much it.  It sat... every now and then I'd dig up some records, think of a flip or make a beat, but for the most part... "Revisionist History" was dead.  Then, as I mentioned in a prior post, the whole project was basically resurrected by the simple suggestion from DJ Ian Head to make it a monthly post.  So, BIG shout out to DJ Ian Head for sparking the "revision" of "Revisionist History."

So, how do we set it off?  What should be the 1st release/installment for "Revisionist History?"  Since I've started making beats for this project and collected records, there have been many different tracks/beats to select from.  Bottom line, the jump off needs to be something undeniable, something classic... something that everyone will get.

If you've also heard the hints I dropped on Twitter and Facebook the debut track would be a Vintage Dope release.  This track actually came from making a bulk of beats for the Vintage Dope project and just throwing the vocals of another V-Dope track over the beat I made.  Fast forward to when I decided to reignite this project.  I'm contemplating what to release, thinking about all the things I could do for the jump off and I realize... I have this cut and what better way to help cross promote Vintage Dope than to release this remix.  BOOM!

Zapp & Roger's classic "More Bounce To The Ounce" is probably one of the sickest beats of all time and it helped define a lot of the west coast's sound.  EPMD, South Central Cartel, J. Dilla and COUNTLESS others have used this classic track from Zapp & Roger to make instant heat.  At one point it was so OVER sampled that it was almost a cliche when you'd listen to a random west coast rapper.  (much like Skull Snaps and Substitution break on a lot of east coast hip hop) 




EPMD's classic "You Gots To Chill" is probably one of my favorite flips.


That being said... here's this month's installment of "Revisionish History" and technically the 1st official release from V-Dope.

"Cratebangin' (More Bounce Remix)."

No comments: