Pages

Friday, May 3, 2013

A.C.E. One, Pacewon, Luvva-J - "Watchin' My Style"

This track, like some of the other "Revisionist History" cuts, has had a LONG story.  And HONESTLY, it's only recently been finished.  For years this track sat with just one verse, then a hook and then finally a second verse, but still only 2/3 finished.  I then moved back from Indy and the PC with the session files sat in storage for the good part of a year.  The project was basically shelved and then through inspiration via DJ Ian Head, the project was resurrected.  There's been a long list of homies and emcees that were slated for this song and as projects, schedules and life got in the way, this track sat on the sideline. 


Like many of the beats I made for this project I wanted to nod to classic hip hop tracks and create something new.  Sometimes this ended up in using material that was reference to a few classics all in one.  This cut is a complete example of that.  Kool G Rap, ODB, Rob Bass... heck CB4 (via Kool G Rap) 

I originally contacted Pacewon to drop a verse and was talking with a few people I knew about finishing it.  In these phone conversations and emails I basically came up with the hook as an homage to what ODB did on Wu-Tang's "Shame On a Nuh" and got Pacewon to drop it.


Then it sat... budget... emcees... life... etc. 

It was a few months before I was going to head back to Seattle and I was talking with A.C.E.-One about working on a completely different track.  He rolled through to work on something and missed my house/got lost.  (which most people did 1st time coming to my place in Indy)  I gave him directions once I found out where he was and then about 15-20 minutes after he didn't show up I looked out the front door to see this 80s style truck that was broke down.  It was A.C.E.  I walked out front and helped him get his truck to the side of the street so he could call to get it towed.  As he was getting his rhyme book, keys and other things out of his truck I remember a .22 falling off the bench seat and he quickly picked it up and put it in his pants.  HAHAHA  We got inside, he made a call, I got him a beer and was ready to work on a different song.  I don't remember how, but he heard this track and was like, "YO, I WANNA DO THIS!"  We did a couple takes to warm up and then A.C.E. decided he wanted to go with this back and forth style, 1 bar on one take and then answer it on the other take.  Just back and forth... it was ill.  Such energy... that's why A.C.E. is one of the illest emcees out of Naptow.  (period) 


So, here we are, 2/3 of the track is finished and the "Revisionist History" project is back in full swing.  It's been too long to sit on it and there's no reason to not finish it.  (Enter Luvva-J)  Picked him up, he sat down, wrote his verse and in two takes was done.  BOOM!!!  That's how V-Dope gets down. 

It may have taken forever to finish this song, but it was worth it and the song came out dope because it wasn't rushed. 



 

No comments: