Pages

Friday, April 5, 2013

Prince Po, Moka-Only, Dawhud - "Don't Front (We Gotcha')"

This is probably one of the high points of all the tracks I've worked on.  As a kid growing up, the thought of actually working with people you have pictures of on your wall or binder is just some crazy ish.  There are a LOT of stories behind this song... who was involved, how it went down, what it could have been, but it probably couldn't have come out any other way AND it's classic the way it IS.  

The short story and the one that matters...

1st heard this jam, Mr. Carlos Walkman/
On the bus rollin home with a Source in my hand/
Last page, Sure Shot, as the cassette drops/
Baby a$$, so smooth ride till the wheel stops/
Had the poster, torn from the magazine/
Binder gloss framed like a backpacker vaccine/
Front on a classic, other legends with the sickness/
Man I'm out 5,000, back to the crate business/

That's how I first heard Black Moon's - "I Gotch' Opin (remix)".  This was one of those pivotal moments in my journey through 90s hip hop.  That song was one of the cuts that made me pretty much quit listening to west coast rap music and jump on almost anything east coast related.  I already was into Tribe, Gangstarr, Diamond D and Wu, but this kind of sealed the deal. 



That being said, I HAD to flip this cut and pay my respects to one of my favorite tracks of all time! And what better way to do it than to have some of the emcees you've looked up to for SO long on the track.  (Prince Po and Moka Only)

Don't Front...