Pages

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Sucker free since '79

Word... simple and plain, that's it. I said it to my wife the other day and she was like, "huh... what does that mean?" Maybe it's not as simple as I thought, but to those of us that grew up under the umbrella of hip hop, we all know what's up.

I guess that saying/mantra just is a deceleration that I've basically grown up with hip hop. I honestly remember seeing the "It's Tricky" video from Run DMC when I was 6. I remember my pops seeing it and thinking it was the devil's music/something he didn't understand, so he quickly flipped the channel. That was it... that's all it took and look where I am now. I guess that was the slippery slope that lost me into this evil world.

Pardon the vids not being embeded because youtube disabled them.

IT's TRICKY!!!!!!!!


HAHA It was funny because I remember how my dad fought so HARD against my interest in hip hop. He even would listen to every tape I bought before I could hear it and then possibly have me take it back to the store. (like when I bought the Batman soundtrack by Prince) Sooner or later my dad realized that he was just doing the same thing HIS father did and he hated it, so by Christmas in 6th grade he bought me a Public Enemy hat and t-shirt. Now looking back that was the moment in which my dad finally let go of his anti-hip hop ish and just let me embrace it like he did with rock when he was growing up.

PUBLIC ENEMY!!!!

I didn't turn out too bad did I, Dad?

No comments: