Pages

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Back in E.F.F.E.C.T.

Back in the PNW and it feels SO good.  In the short amount of time I've been back I've been plugging back into the scene, networking and reconnecting with friends and artists. 

A lot has changed since I left and a lot is still the same.  When I left, hip hop in Seattle was starting to turn heads thanks to Blue Scholars, Jake One, The Physics, Vitamin D, Common Market, Grayskull, The Let Go etc.  Now the country and world is looking, but even in that short period of time, the music soundscape has changed.  What's inevitable is that new artists will enter the scene and remold the sonic textures of the city's sound as tastes change.  Charles Mudede from "The Stranger" referred to this by describing the different "waves" and styles of hip hop in Seattle.  Although I was reading about this through 206proof.com or "The Stranger" back in Indy, I was still aware of what was developing in the Seattle scene while I was gone. 

Now I'm back... a lot has changed... do I fit in the soundscape?  Did I ever?  I honestly have no clue and don't give a sh!t.  I DO know I was able to connect with a lot of cats when I was here and in my absence.  Right now it's a time to reconnect and JUST GET DOWN.  I may not have sonically fit with other artists here, but cats respected the art.  (And that's what's up)  My music has ALWAYS been highly influenced on 90s Boom Bap and that honestly has never been Seattle's sound.  It has it's roots but... well... I could go into a long rant on the environment and sound texture of hip hop here, but I wont.  What I will say is if there ISN'T a difference in sound available... then the scene is boring.  I'm glad to be back and I'm glad to bring my music back to the mix here.

SO...

July 27th at the High Dive in Fremont Seattle I will be preforming with Token Folk, Vice Verses & French Letters.  This is going to be a dope show and a return home for me.  As the date approaches I'll keep you all posted.  Keep it locked and don't forget to check out the music from the fellow artists that I will be sharing the stage with.


No comments: