Pages

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Where the Ladies At?

Dope female emcees seem to be a dying breed.  I miss the days of MC Lyte standing amongst Kane, G Rap and other emcees of the day.  Jean Grae is pretty sick, but it seems that she's having to hold the torch for ALL of the women in hip hop.  I honestly don't count acts like Nicki Minaj that use their image to sell their "pop tart" music as emcees.  (but that's a whole other rant)

Anyway...

I stumbled across this group through my forum on Stones Throw.  One of the members, Taza-One, produced the track and threw the video up to see what people think.  What blew me away when I first started watching the video was the fact that the first verse was not only being done by a female emcee, D-Thraxx, but that she's only 16 years old.  And... she... will... stomp you lyrically.  In this day and age I would expect to see the same type of carbon copy Nicki Minaj flow/style coming from a teenage emcee, but this time we're given a dose of lyrics I honestly didn't think a 16 year old was capable of writing  Maybe it's because of Odd Future/Tyler the Creator getting a lot of spin in the blogsphere... I don't know.  What I DO hope is to see more from this emcee and ish like this period.







On the other side of the spectrum we have Whitney Coleman, who I stumbled across when Eratic was promoting a show at Locals Only in Indy.  I came through and was simply blown away.  Whitney Coleman embodies the Neo Soul movement of the late 90s and early 00s.  I know she will be compared to Lauren Hill no matter what, but that's a good thing.  I have truly missed this sound and I honestly think it's just a matter of time before she's at SXSW and blowing up.






No comments: