Pages

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Rusty Redenbacher - The Tinkerer (5 track preview)

Rusty Redenbacher has blessed us with another preview of his upcoming project, "The Tinkerer."   He uploaded 5 tracks on soundcloud and gave us a track by track rundown.

Plug in and take a dose.

On the real ATFU...


Rusty Redenbacher (#ATFU) - Tracks from 'The Tinkerer' by RustyRedenbacher


1) ‘The Tinkerer’
The second track I made when I started what ended up being an album called ‘The Tinkerer’.  I’d had those drums laying around for a minute and had been dying to rap on them. I made the drum break to mix behind other records when I spin, but I knew it was too good to keep letting everyone else have all the fun with it. The title and concept just kinda came to me. I thought it would be cool to give it a science-fiction feel to match the vibe I was getting at home.

“I can’t believe I’m actually playing these keyboards #nshit on this damn laptop! Why didn’t I try this before? I got breaks ERRYWHURR…I think I’m gonna make an album here, man. Right here in the crib…just knock this stuff out. I BEEN wanting to make tracks and God bless Steve Jobs, cuz now I can.”
I knew I was gonna dedicate this album to my Mama (God rest her soul, keep watching me, Mama. I’m doing it), Muhbabay (She gave me the space to create this thing, never complaining once about all the noise I was making and my being stuck in the ‘Iron Man Monster Factory’ all day and night.) and Steve Jobs (cuz without this technology he gave me, I wasn’t gonna be able to do this AT ALL. The whole album is produced, recorded and mixed in Garageband.)

Total budget to record this album…$29.98, for a spindle of CD’s to burn the rhythm beds for transferring into the computer. I hadn’t taught myself to sample in Garageband yet, so I mixed all the beds live as ‘blends’. All the samples and drums you hear on every track except for ‘Dunwiddit’ and ‘Shake’  were laid live from the wheels of steel to the burner, then the baselines, keys, and ‘sprinkles’ (as Tyler would say) were added via Garageband.

#Also, I didn’t have a keyboard yet, so I played all the parts on the keyboard I am typing this blog on right now. I just think that’s cool as shit. #PUNKROCKTHISSHIT. It’s about how you use what you got, getting it done, and getting it to the world like “Yeah…YEAH…YEAH!“…
That’s kinda what this song is about #aswell. I’m playing a scientist, attempting to create something outta what is laying about. I look at these records and hear music and most of the time I think…
“What could I do with that…? How could I make that, if not better, at the very least, mine, and offer it to the world? How can I take this record and these thoughts and reshape them into an entirely new beast? I’m gonna FREAK that shit right THERE.”
“I think I’m Nikolai Tesla, yo…”

#maby Dr. Frankenstein, too…

and Rick Rubin mixed with Steve Albini, but with more #swag…
woo.

2) ‘The Funk’
The track originally was gonna be real simple. I was wanting to do something that was just reeeeeal simple and fonkay; the example that was in my head was EPMD’s ‘You’re A Customer’; just a two note baseline, some sick drums, and some vocal samples/scratches. The first version was exactly that…but I didn’t have the vocal samples. Just some fonk…

The rhyme is all about the soul artists that I LOVE. The artists referenced in this song are the foundation of soul music, and thus, the foundation of hip-hop. A brutha just had to pay homage to the elders early in the process to make sure the whole thang was blessed. Word.

3) ‘My Migraine’
This is one of my favorite tracks on the album, man. Another one of my ‘blend-beds’ that really didn’t need a lot. I had this one on deck for about two years. I added the organ, the bassline, and the little bells, then wrote a tune around it.

You ever been all about something…with everything you got…and start to wonder why you even bother? I mean, like anything. You give and give to it and realize it’s nothing but a headache and a drag and you’re not getting back what you put in, but you love it. So what do you do…?

You can’t cut your head off, so you lay down or you take a pill and try to concentrate on feeling good somehow. That’s what that is there, man. Everybody has felt like that about something. I have felt like that about a lotta things, sometimes I feel like that when I am writing and recording song at 1:30 in the morning immediately after a night of DJing…

…but I ain’t about to cut my head off.

“Another pill glues me shut where my head was split.”

4) ‘Add On’
There’s a couple of short pieces that keep the narrative of the album flowing. When you hear the full album, you’ll be able to hear something of a storyline. I always think of the projects as complete pieces, even when I’m using spare parts.

Before producing the music for this album, I always felt one of my strengths was in arranging vocals. I’ve been recording my own vocals for the longest, so I’ve got a process and have developed a sound with it. I #ALSO appreciate being able to do that myself at the crib now too…I wanna try things once I get the lead done and while I ain’t Lutha or Marvin or nothin, I can get my harmony on here and there.

In this case, I was kinda playing around, learning some new effects that I hadn’t used. It’s also at a point in the album where the ‘monster’ needed to get his thang off a bit. The ‘monster’ had to show that he’s down with the program and nothing to be scared of.

(In fact, The Tinkerer doesn’t see a ‘monster’, he sees a ‘man’. Why, if more people could see what is going on at the ‘Iron Man Monster Factory’, I bet they’d be amazed and astounded. 
…they can’t see me though…yet.)

I continue my work…

5) ‘The Nocturnal Stomp’
Continuing the ‘WATFU’ theme from ‘Cashin In’, this is a jam produced and written towards the end of the process. ‘WATFU’ is OUR radio station, man. The internet and social-media are basically a radio station for your personality. That’s why you see and hear me on here so much, baby. Radio don’t stop.

Radio is there when you wake up and will be there when you fall asleep. ‘WATFU’ is ALWAYS on the air. We are ALWAYS in communication with our people and we are always tryna give them something new for their personal radio stations, which in most cases are called ‘iPods’ or ‘Smartphones’
I grew up on the radio, man. The radio was about the people and the personalities presenting the music. The voices carried the personalities of real people, not robots. I love that. I used to make tapes as a kid where I would record myself introducing the songs, like a radio show.

One of the biggest influences on ‘The Tinkerer’ is my beloved Mama and a note she gave me outta the blue one day. I hadn’t seen it in years and it was returned to me this year…on Father’s Day.
Amazing, just amazing.

She was telling me to never give up on myself…and how proud she was of me. I was really in the dumps that day, y’all. As a ‘new orphan’, those holidays and birthdays just ain’t the same to me. I go through some real blues on those days cuz they ain’t here. It will NEVER be the same. No matter how old I get, no matter what is going on in my life, those days will always bring about some blues. *shrugs* They just do…

Getting this note was really like a message from Heaven. I honestly believe that. I honestly believe there was divine intervention that went on that day. I won’t ever forget it…and this note will never leave my side again. Ever. Ever. EVER. And it shouldn’t have in the first place, but when you hafta move fast, some things get left behind.

(That a whooooole other story though…)
(a whoooole other story, man.)
#ANYWAYDOE
“Mama said never quit, so I never quit/Mess around on the keys for a little bit./Space Funk, when I tinker/Deep thinker/You WILL respect it/Accept it/I get no sleep, in the deep hours of the night/Paranoid, tawgmbout…”Is my thyroid alright?”…”

You think of some wild stuff in the darkest hours, especially when you feel like you can’t sleep. You worry, you trip. Your mind never stops.

I just happen to make it rhyme and Mama said ‘GO!’, so I ‘GO!’.

…and now Rusty’s On Ya REAL Radio in #Naptown, every day at noon in the mix and on the mic on the weekend.

Radio don’t stop. Mama said never stop. Perfect. #Science. #Faith.

That’s about it, y’all. I’ll be announcing a release date and some video promos soon, so just stay tuned cuz ‘The Tinkerer’ is coming and it’s an ALBUM, baby. I really hope y’all enjoy this sneak-peek and I leave you with this.

Thank you.

All Together For Us…
#ATFU
RR

No comments: